Fun Times!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Gratitudes and Regrets

With the passing of my mom I have looked at life differently. I'm so grateful there were no hard feelings between me and my mom, or her and anyone else for that matter. I hear of too many stories of people who lose loved ones and feel that a grudge was still there, a sorry never said of a forgiveness never given. I am so grateful the last words my mom and I said to each other were "I love you". I'm glad I don't have that regret.
However,the biggest regret I've had is that I didn't take more pictures with or of my mom. We still have not found her camera and I think about how good she was at taking pictures of her and my dad with others, but how focused my pictures seem to be on just my little immediate family. We've done several things with them this Summer and as I go back over those trips or events I have a hard time finding pictures, if any, with my mom in them. How I wish I would've taken a picture of her and Lily at the baptism. So my advice is you can never take too many pictures and make sure you include as many people as you can in your picture taking.
I am grateful my mom doesn't have to deal with the hardships of life anymore. I think of how lucky she is to have built up a wonderful food storage and all the preperations for a natural disaster (my dad is set for two life-times) and yet she'll never have to worry about being in a situation where she has to use any of it. She will never be old. She will never have the trials of health issues that come with old age. She is happy.
I have looked at my relationship with my own children, particularly my daughter differently. It makes me want to be a better mom and as my kids grow into adult-hood keep a strong relationship with them and their own families.
This experience has made me love my family more, my siblings and my dad as well as my in-law family. I really miss seeing and being with them when I've gone days without talking or visiting with them. I've told my sister, Aimee and my mother-in-law, Maxine that they are the closest moms I have now and I really need to rely on them.
This experience has made me appreciate the power of prayer more. I have really felt the power of so many prayers directed my way. In fact, the day after my mom passed away Tom's sister, Maren was having such a hard time that they sent her home from work. When I saw her she could barely compose herself, yet I seemed totally together. Part of this could've been the shock, but I told her it was because everyone's praying for me and my family specifically and not for the rest of those who may also be mourning. I really feel prayers can be a strength in our lives, especially during life's hardest trials.
I'm so grateful for the knowledge I have of our Heavenly Father's plan for us. He sent us here to gain a mortal body and to be tested. If we chose to live righteously, keep His commandments and make covenants with Him through different priesthood ordinances, we will get to be a family forever. This is the thing that gives me the greatest comfort and makes me want to live my life better. I know one day the Savior, Jesus Christ will return to the earth and with him will be my mom and other loved ones that have passed on. Whether I am here to greet them or I am one of them, I can't wait for that day.

No comments: