Fun Times!

Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Wedding

Thursday night, my sister, Aimee threw a spontaneous Bachelorette party for our soon-to-be step mom, Suzy.  She and my dad were due to get married the next day.  We did eyebrow waxing and toe nail painting.  We just visited and had fun.  Those who came included me, Natalie (Suzy’s daughter-in-law), Aimee, her daughter, Aubree & Suzy.

 IMG_1545 IMG_1559 IMG_1566

Friday was the big day of the wedding.  Tom had the day off and it just so happen to be the day of the kids Fun Run at the elementary school.  Tom had been growing a beard for fun and decided to sport a mustache for the occasion due to Jeff’s request (don’t worry, he shaved it before the wedding).  Jeff had also requested for Tom to run with him as parents were invited to join too.  However, Tom had gotten the time mixed up and arrived just as the first graders were about to start and missed the run!  He was there to cheer Jeff in though.  Jeff did awesome and came in third place for the whole first grade!  Lily had told me she didn’t want to do the run and so I never signed the permission slip.  While Tom, Cedric, Sophie and I were standing directing the runners (I came to help as a volunteer), we saw Lily sitting on the playground by herself and she looked sad.  We all walked over to her and when she saw us she gave us a big hug and started crying.  She was the only one in her grade who wasn’t running (I guess next time I better sign the form regardless of what she wants to do at the time).  I told her to come help me guide the fourth graders in and she could be a helper instead.  That made her happy.

IMG_0480IMG_1578 IMG_1580

Tom took off and went to help set up chairs for the wedding, while Cedric, Sophie and I ran to the store real quick as I was needing to finish putting together my wardrobe for the wedding.  Then we headed home, Sophie went down for a nap and Cedric and I made cookies for the reception.

 IMG_1584 

We picked the kids up early from school, quickly got ready and headed over to Stonebridge Golf Course for the luncheon.

Here’s the enter family (minus my brother, Nate who lives in Germany.  He joined us for the wedding via Skype, though).  And here’s our little family with Dad and Suzy.

IMG_1710 20130531_145105

After the luncheon we headed over to my brother, Mike’s house where the wedding was to take place.  Since both Dad and Suzy are sealed to their first spouses in the temple, they have the privilege of being with them after they pass on, forever.  Dad and Suzy will be married for this life only and will be wonderful companions for the remainder of their time on this earth.

We helped get the last minute things ready, mingled a bit and chased this cutie around.

 IMG_0490

Then it came time for the wedding.  My sister has the ceremony video on her blog.  To see that, and read about her experience go here.

  First, Dad welcomed everyone and then Natalie sang a beautiful song. 

Aimee and I walked Dad down the isle and Suzy’s boys walked her down the isle.  Since my brother, Mike is a mayor he has the legal rights to perform marriage ceremonies and had the honor of performing theirs. 

2013-05-31 17.46.052013-05-31 17.52.12

After it was over, the granddaughters and Natalie sang a very cute number with the grandsons participating from the audience (this can also be seen on Aimee’s blog).  Then we had cookies and mingled.  Lily had fun playing with her new uncles, Travis and Caleb. 

 IMG_0513 IMG_0515  IMG_0516

That night, I felt so at peace and complete happiness for everything that took place that day.  I know Suzy’s not replacing my mom, nor ever could, but I am grateful she is willing to be there as a “bonus” mom, grandma and wife.  We love Suzy, Travis, Natalie and Caleb so much!  It’s so weird how a few months ago we didn’t know them very well and now we are family!  I’m excited they want to mesh our families together instead of just sharing my dad.  I feel like they are true answers to prayers. 

I miss my mom.  I cry often (seeing Dad & Suzy’s wedding announcement on my fridge a few weeks ago was a hard moment).  But I’m so happy to see someone with my dad again, to know he’s happy and not alone.  I’m so grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have that I will see my mom again someday.  I wouldn’t be surprised if when her and Suzy meet, she embraces her in gratitude and thanks for helping to feel the void she left.  For stepping in as mom, grandma and wife (maybe that’s why she’s called a ‘step’ mom?).  What a wonderful blessing families are!

1 comment:

Sam said...

The gospel is great. It's so nice that your dad and Suzy have each other for the rest of their lives her on earth. And that's so great that the families are blending together nicely. I'm happy for you guys.

Also, I noticed that the link you have to my blog on the side of yours is to my old blog. I started a new one after Eli was born. It's http://fairiesandfootball.blogspot.com/