I have never gone on a mission, but being in the Young Women's presidency has been as close to a mission as I've ever had. One of the biggest highlights came Saturday when one of our new beehives was baptized! Hope doesn't have any support from home (a mom, older brothers in their twenties, no dad). In fact, she's pretty much raised herself. She is often left to take care of herself.
She's been seeing the missionaries for years, has committed to baptism a few times, but was never ready. When she was close to turning twelve they asked the YW to help fellowship her. I would often times go with the sister missionaries to pick her up and bring her back to my house where they'd share a thought or story (they'd already completed all the mission lessons with her by this point). It was getting to the point where the missionaries couldn't do much more for her, so the YW were asked to help fellowship her. The girls have been great to befriend her and invite her to things. Then about three weeks ago they announced in ward council that she had committed to baptism again! Things continued to progress and I started to see Hope's countenance change. She was doing things like getting herself to church and activities, baring her testimony in sacrament on fast Sunday, bringing her Book of Mormon with her each week, etc. Her mom even consented and signed the permission to allow her to be baptized.
So yesterday was her baptism. None of her immediate family was there, but her grandparents came in from Nevada and her Grandpa baptized her. She had a few aunts and uncles, but mainly the ward there to support her. Every time someone walked into the chapel Hope would jump up and give them a big hug.
Lily and some of the other YW performed a musical number. And I was asked to say some words and welcome her into Young Women's. Before I went up to speak, I was sitting alone on the bench and I couldn't help but feel my mom near me. I felt she was there to let me know how proud she was of me in my calling and with helping Hope. I remember her being a great example of being a missionary through her various callings in the church and know she has a special love for missionary work.
Of course that didn't help me keep my composure together very well when it was my turn to speak. I got up and looked down at Hope and said through my tears, "I am having a proud mommy moment. I know I'm not your mom, but the young women are my girls. I am as proud of Hope as I would be if she was my own daughter." I went on with my words, and the whole baptism was perfect! I was on cloud nine all day Saturday.
Fun Times!
Monday, March 20, 2017
My Mission Experience
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment